[Tagging] RFC: new key Landcover

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 17:43:16 GMT 2010

2010/11/16 Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de>:
> Maybe a few examples can help clarify this: What key would I use to
> describe the surface of a race track in a stadium - landcover or
> surface?

surface

> Would the same surface material on the
> basketball court next to it (clearly an area, not linear) be tagged
> differently?

no, that would be surface as well. I'd say the distinction is between
the surface and the coverage (which comprises the surface).
surface=bush or tree would not make any sense IMHO. surface=asphalt is
fine for the surface, the landcover would be the street which is not
only the surface of the street.

cheers,
Martin