[Tagging] steel worker and smaller concrete structures on site

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 18:49:16 BST 2011

2011/4/15 Brad Neuhauser <brad.neuhauser at gmail.com>:
> I think Josh's joke does get to a serious answer to your question: I don't
> think you should use the word that describes the worker, but the word that
> describes the work.  However, I see that in the craft=* space (is this where
> you're heading with this Martin?) most of the tags do describe the person
> doing the work rather than the kind of work they do (ie - carpenter not
> carpentry, photographer not photography, etc. although there are also cases
> like pottery instead of potter).

Yes, consistency was in the past ;-)
Yes, I wanted this info for the craft section
I think this way of tagging evolved from shop, where the
recommendation once was to tag the profession (now it says: you are
free to use any....)

> About "steel worker", I would imagine that as a person working in a steel
> mill, who might also be called a foundry worker.  The other case you mention
> could be called a framer, although carpenter or just construction worker
> might be more common.

This is very interesting. So basically in English you don't
distinguish between working with wood and working with steel? I
thought framer and carpenter were reserved to working with wood.
"Construction worker" seems very generic to me, I am looking for
specific terms.


More information about the Tagging mailing list