[Tagging] steel worker and smaller concrete structures on site

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Fri Apr 15 19:13:29 BST 2011

Am 15.04.2011 19:49, schrieb M∡rtin Koppenhoefer:
> 2011/4/15 Brad Neuhauser<brad.neuhauser at gmail.com>:
>> About "steel worker", I would imagine that as a person working in a steel
>> mill, who might also be called a foundry worker.  The other case you mention
>> could be called a framer, although carpenter or just construction worker
>> might be more common.
> This is very interesting. So basically in English you don't
> distinguish between working with wood and working with steel? I
> thought framer and carpenter were reserved to working with wood.
> "Construction worker" seems very generic to me, I am looking for
> specific terms.
On the other hand we in Germany - probably in the German speaking 
countries in general (but I'm not sure) do not consequently distinguish 
between making cuffins and making furniture - although there are words 
for either historic meaning - Tischler (where Tisch is the desk) and 
Schreiner (were Schrein is an old word for a cuffin).
Yes - the "Zimmermann", building the mostly wooden parts of houses is 
distinguished commonly from these, but the first distinction is missing.

In English it seems the distinction is a different one.
I assume that's based in the historic craft system in Germany making 
hard distinctions between the single crafts strictly organized per city 
in midage.


More information about the Tagging mailing list