[Tagging] steel worker and smaller concrete structures on site

Brad Neuhauser brad.neuhauser at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 19:18:32 BST 2011

Hold it, there was consistency in the past?  :)

IANACW (construction worker) but framer seems like it would be generic and
could apply to steel or wood framing.  I think some (many?) carpenters in
the US know how to work with steel for framing as well as wood.

As further information, from my understanding of standard construction in
the US, first things get framed, then the walls are put up (usually they're
sheetrock or drywall, I think people use the verb "hang" as in "today we're
going to hang the sheetrock"), then tape and mud the seams (and there are
people who specialize in this step, called "tapers"), then any finishing
work (painting, woodwork, etc).  Somewhere in there electrical and plumbing
work gets done.

 In searching, I also came across the term "ironworker" which applies to
larger buildings, bridges, etc.


On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 12:49 PM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <
dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/4/15 Brad Neuhauser <brad.neuhauser at gmail.com>:
> > I think Josh's joke does get to a serious answer to your question: I
> don't
> > think you should use the word that describes the worker, but the word
> that
> > describes the work.  However, I see that in the craft=* space (is this
> where
> > you're heading with this Martin?) most of the tags do describe the person
> > doing the work rather than the kind of work they do (ie - carpenter not
> > carpentry, photographer not photography, etc. although there are also
> cases
> > like pottery instead of potter).
> Yes, consistency was in the past ;-)
> Yes, I wanted this info for the craft section
> I think this way of tagging evolved from shop, where the
> recommendation once was to tag the profession (now it says: you are
> free to use any....)
> > About "steel worker", I would imagine that as a person working in a steel
> > mill, who might also be called a foundry worker.  The other case you
> mention
> > could be called a framer, although carpenter or just construction worker
> > might be more common.
> This is very interesting. So basically in English you don't
> distinguish between working with wood and working with steel? I
> thought framer and carpenter were reserved to working with wood.
> "Construction worker" seems very generic to me, I am looking for
> specific terms.
> cheers,
> Martin
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20110415/dc8a3e11/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list