[Tagging] How to tag destroyed stuff?

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 12:21:58 BST 2011

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 6:49 AM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net>wrote:

> IMHO a "README" is not the right approach as it is not shown to
>> consumers of the map.
>>
> it's about all we have right now. if you don't know when the circumstances
> will change, ETA: TBD works in the readmen.
>
> we don't have a good way of transmitting this knowledge to end users.

So, you have currently : "highway=* + bridge=yes + layer=*", right ?

Some proposals:
- replace the whole by "bridge=broken" or "bridge=destroyed"
- just add an "access=no" or "access=destroyed" or "access=broken"
- combine both
- in any case, create a special new rule for rendering your big red X and
don't just add an extra tag to the existing ones (like "destroyed=yes")
otherwise the majority of the applications will not see the difference
between your bridge and a normal bridge (same story as "disused=yes").

Pieren