[Tagging] Light rail station

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 20:15:28 BST 2011

On 8/18/2011 1:49 PM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> Where I come from[1], light rail is characterized by longer stop
> intervals and right of way and dedicated infrastructure as a rule,
> compared to tram. If that's not the same for the US, then it may not be
> a good idea to have dedicated tagging for it.

http://www.lightrail.nl/NL/nl-tour.htm
"The map of The Netherlands shows Light Rail in many forms, like the
tramways of Amsterdam" (I don't know how reliable this site is)

The big problem is that you can point to systems that are definitely
higher-standard, and those that are definitely lower-standard, but
there's no hard line between the two. The American Public Transportation
Association recognizes this and lumps them together:
http://www.apta.com/resources/statistics/Pages/glossary.aspx "Light Rail
is a mode of transit service (also called streetcar, tramway, or
trolley)..."