[Tagging] man_made=crane

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 17:34:34 BST 2011

2011/8/18 Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com>:
> several cranes sharing the same set of rails, and I think it would be
> legitimate to describe the rails and the crane (in some indicative
> central position) separately.

+1, IMHO there is a key missing for the rails because railway=rail is
not the tag we should use for cranes.

In the wiki the suggested values for crane:type also seem not to fit
well in our general tagging scheme:
crane:type=*                <Portal crane|Floor-mounted crane|Travel Lift>

(because of the spaces and capitalization).

Looking at the actual values in use there seems space for wiki optimization:
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/crane%3Atype#values

cheers,
Martin