[Tagging] landuse=residential and named residential areas which belong together (neighbourhoods/subdivisions?)

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Mon Aug 29 18:26:23 BST 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
<dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> We have been recently discussing on the German ML about
> landuse=residential. In Germany many mappers were mapping subdivisions
> / neighbourhoods [1] with landuse=residential. This led to very rough
> landuse information, because in order to keep the (sometimes quite
> big) area as a whole they are forced to ignore landuses that don't
> fit.
>
> I think that the information about these areas belongs to a distinct
> entity and would best fit into the "place"-namespace because I see
> them as subdivision of settlements (or more precise subdivisions of
> what we call "suburb" in OSM).
>
> If we could agree that the information about which areas as a whole
> form a distinct unit (part of a suburb) should go into the place tag,
> we would be more flexible when deciding where to apply landuse to.
> Part of the current discussion results from the mixing of namespaces:
> landuse is used to map settlement subdivisions which are IMHO defined
> by other properties (like morphology, history, culture, typology, ...)
> then just similar landuse. There is also areas which do combine
> different subareas with different landuses (impossible to map this
> with landuse-areas without either ignoring bigger parts of different
> use or loosing the entity as a whole).

While you didn't specifically ask questions about tagging
neighborhoods, please consider reading and contributing to the wiki
page on the subject:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Neighbourhood

It would be nice to ensure the discussions on the German ML are
integrated in that or related wiki page, and preferably in English so
as to reach a larger audience.

Thanks!
-Josh