[Tagging] landuse=residential and named residential areas which belong together (neighbourhoods/subdivisions?)

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Wed Aug 31 20:42:10 BST 2011

> 2011/8/31 Bryce Nesbitt<bryce2 at obviously.com>:
>> I'm a city dweller. We have some (and will soon have some very prominent)
>> rooftop parks.
> That's fine, you can tag them with leisure=park (or maybe
> leisure=garden, and garden:type)
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:leisure%3Dgarden
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Garden_specification
It was a stacking comment.  The renderers seem to implicitly stack
buildings on top
of land use, so it won't created the desired results.

The question is: should it be sufficient to imply that a landuse polygon
wholly inside of another land use polygon belongs "on top"? Or is it
really necessary to cut a hole in the outer polygon?

The existing "layer <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Layer>=x" tags
are in fact active in mapnik at least: one can stack land use.
I feel new mappers will be much more likely to get layers right, rather
than relations/multipolygons.