[Tagging] (no subject)

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Dec 5 12:10:19 GMT 2011

Jo,

   please stop right there and take a deep breath.

On 12/05/2011 12:45 PM, Jo wrote:
> Toerisme Vlaanderen wants to share its databases with us. There are
> accomodations like hotels, but also many others. I'm going to start by
> treating the hotels.

OpenStreetMap is *not* a hotel database.

OpenStreetMap is a database for geodata collected by humans.

Whether or not a hotel allows pets in their rooms or have a vault for
guests is clearly not geodata. How many en-suite rooms a hotel has and
what they charge for an extra baby bed is NOT data that we want in
OpenStreetMap. Who is going to notice and update OSM when they change
their extra baby bed pricing. Are you?

Yes, there is a grey area - we do for example already record a "cuisine"
tag for restaurants - but I think that you are really overdoing it. We
cannot record all these details and keep them current. We cannot, and
don't want to, replace the good work that Toerism Vlaanderen do.

What you need to do is: Store hotel information in a different database,
somehow agree on a common key, and point from the OSM record to the
hotel database. You could even write an application that queries both
and makes it possible to ask questions like "where's the nearest hotel
that charges less than 100 Euros a night and has a jacuzzi". But you
must not dump all this data onto OpenStreetMap like this.

Bye
Frederik