[Tagging] power=tower enhancement

Guillaume Allegre allegre.guillaume at free.fr
Tue Dec 13 12:48:22 GMT 2011

Le lun. 12 dec. 2011 à 20:12 +0000, Nick Austin a ecrit :
> Hi,
>
> I've heard the term riser used before but only in the context of
> getting pipes and cables into tall buildings. I can't offer an opinion
> as to whether it's the right term or not.
>
> As far as the UK is concerned this won't help much for many reasons:
> 1) Poles are often shared with telephone and fibre optic cables and
> these also have their own risers.

OK, but I think it's well adapted to towers for high voltage lines,
which are always independent from other networks, I suppose.

> 2) Smaller power lines (up to 11kV) often go down one riser, cross a
> road (or other obstruction) then up another riser to continue their journey.

I don't see this as a problem : 2 close poles or 2 close towers with risers
are not an inconsistency.

> 3) Where three cables meet one of two of them may come up a riser and
> it's impossible to tell which is the supply cable and which is leading
> to a destination.
OK, but same thing : the fact that the tower/pole is linked to a riser from
underground keeps his sense, even on triple points.

> 4) When underground cables fail they are often abandoned and left in
> place. The ends of the cable are disconnected at the top of each
> riser.
I don't see the point here.

> And finally I think that it's going to be difficult for many people to
> verify that the information is correct. I'm not keen on having
> information in the OSM database that can only be checked and updated
> by very few people.
OK, for this my local experience ; in France, the operator (RTE - Réseau de
Transport d'Electricité) has installed a label on every tower, with general
information (line name, tower ref...)
In addition, the ones with risers are labelled with :
    Remontée aéro-souterraine : (NAME)
    L'autre extrémité de ce cable est située à : (NAME)
Meaning :
- riser (more or less) :
- the other end is located at :
I think that is explicit enough and largely checkable.

--
 ° /\    Guillaume Allègre            OpenStreetMap France
  /~~\/\   Allegre.Guillaume at free.fr  Cartographie libre et collaborative