[Tagging] Open cut mining

Daniel Sabo danielsabo at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 22:54:30 GMT 2011

A site relation could be appropriate to describe that they are all related to the mine but don't fit inside of a single polygon.

If the entire community (mine + housing + airport) is all part of the mine I would map it as place=hamlet, name=such and such mine. In that case draw the place polygon around everything and the site relation is optional. Place polygons are (almost) always preferred to place nodes, because then you don't have to guess what's inside of them.

My inclination on the mine facilities would be: The actual pit & surroundings are landuse=quarry, the proccessing facilities are landuse=industrial + individual buildings. Do the buildings have names beyond their purpose? If not just naming them is probably sufficient.