[Tagging] RFC: historic:civilization and historic:period Re: new key civilization

Johan Jönsson johan.j at goteborg.cc
Wed Jan 12 17:41:51 GMT 2011

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at ...> writes:
> You are free to think whatever you want, but for my current mapping
> project it is indeed important to know if e.g. a temple is greek or
> roman, and if I have the information from which period it dates, why
> shouldn't I tag it?

This is great, I spent some time this summer in Rhodes and they had maps over
many of the remains in the city, with a clear distinction if the where
hellenistic, roman, bysantic or medieval.

I think the wikipage should be filled in the same rate as there are interested
mappers using the keys. No need to go on ahead. The well-informed tgas on the
classical period that you made serves well as an example for all the rest, when
time comes.

Regarding period:
I think that could differ some from place to place. On Rhodes there was an
distinct hospitaliers-period of the city. In Chania on Crete there was an
Venetian period at the same time, although alternating with an Ottoman period.

/Johan J