[Tagging] building=dormitory for monasteries?

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 17:56:04 BST 2011

2011/6/6 Brad Neuhauser <brad.neuhauser at gmail.com>:
> If you want to split that hair, "sleeping_quarters" would be a lot more
> clear in English than dormitorium.  From your earlier comment on quarters,
> it sounds like you might be confused by this term, but "quarters" can apply
> to a single structure or part of a structure.  (for example, crew's quarters
> on a ship)

OK, I was not sure about this (that's why I tried to explain how I got
it). Seems like "dormitorium" is not used in English (Oxford
dictionary has a reference to it in dormitory, there is also dorter
and dortour (ancient) for this part of a monastery, but I couldn't
find the latin word in any resource in English). Isn't sleeping
quarter then something that only refers to a part of a building, or
would you use it for a standalone structure as well?

Maybe I should go for "dorter" if I wanted to be specific?


More information about the Tagging mailing list