[Tagging] building=dormitory for monasteries?

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Mon Jun 6 18:24:36 BST 2011

"M∡rtin Koppenhoefer" <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2011/6/6 Brad Neuhauser <brad.neuhauser at gmail.com>:
> > If you want to split that hair, "sleeping_quarters" would be a lot
> more
> > clear in English than dormitorium.  From your earlier comment on
> quarters,
> > it sounds like you might be confused by this term, but "quarters"
> can apply
> > to a single structure or part of a structure.  (for example, crew's
> quarters
> > on a ship)
> OK, I was not sure about this (that's why I tried to explain how I got
> it). Seems like "dormitorium" is not used in English (Oxford
> dictionary has a reference to it in dormitory, there is also dorter
> and dortour (ancient) for this part of a monastery, but I couldn't
> find the latin word in any resource in English). Isn't sleeping
> quarter then something that only refers to a part of a building, or
> would you use it for a standalone structure as well?
> Maybe I should go for "dorter" if I wanted to be specific?
> cheers,
> Martin

There can be a separate building for sleeping quarters, or it can be part of a larger building.  Use of the term "dormitory" for university student's sleeping quarters is apparently an American, rather than UK, practice.  I don't know if there is an American-vs.-UK difference when applied to monasteries.  I lived in a college dormitory in the USA for a year in the mid-1970's; each room had two beds, a shared desk, and a sink.  There was a communal bathroom down the hall.  The dining hall was in a different building, and all students living in dormitories were required to pay in advance for dining-hall meals at the start of each semester.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com
"Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all." -- Hypatia of Alexandria

More information about the Tagging mailing list