[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Club

Leandro Motta Barros lmbarros at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 13:27:32 BST 2011

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 7:18 AM, Alessio Zanol <nardei at infinito.it> wrote:
> Hello,

Hello!

> this is my feature proposal:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Club

Great, I wished something like this several times! I don't have strong
opinions about the specifics of exactly which tags will be used, but
I'd really like to have something along the lines you are proposing
approved.

I don't how typical clubs (or associations, whatever) are in other
countries (or even in other parts of my own country...), but here in
the part of Brazil where I live the "type" of a club is frequently a
bit fuzzy.

Many traditional, older clubs have been founded with a very clear
"type", like music, hunting, or some kind of sport. Nowadays, however,
most of these clubs evolved into something that is effectively a mix
of several club types, with "departments" for many different kinds of
activities.

A typical club in my city has a building used to hold social events
(wedding ceremonies, birthday parties, balls (dancing), artistic
performances...), and other places (oftentimes at a different address)
used for sport activities or whatever. Maybe it is correct to say tat
these clubs are, at heart, something along the lines of English
"Gentleman's clubs" (just less pompous/elitist), with additional
facilities for sports and leisure.

I think your proposal is very usable as is, and I really can't suggest
any improvements to deal with these little local details.  Anyway, I
thought it would be nice to talk about them -- maybe someone this can
somehow help to improve the proposal.

And thanks again for this proposal! It is very useful!

LMB