[Tagging] suitable tag for garden and forest machinery shop

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 22 08:18:09 BST 2011

On 22/06/2011 09:00, Stephen Hope wrote:
> On 22 June 2011 16:14, Colin Smale<colin.smale at xs4all.nl>  wrote:
>> That's for the renderer to sort out... We just need to make sure that the
>> data makes/enables the distinctions that we do as humans. The renderer can
>> always map multiple tags onto the same icon if it wants to. I think I would
>> call this Garden Tools. If it wasn't for the use of the word "lightweight"
>> even Agricultural Equipment might be appropriate but that would likely
>> include "big boys toys" like combine harvesters as well. Tag it lke it is.
>> Where would one look in the "yellow pages" (business telephone directory
>> organised by category)?
> In mine, it's under "Chainsaws and Brushcutters" and "Lawnmower Sales
> and repairs", with many stores listed in both. A few also listed under
> "Engine repairs". I can't think of any of them that would sell hand
> equipment (Shovels, axes etc) as well, though, we'd go to a totally
> different store for that. A garden centre or hardware store might sell
> plants, hand tools and maybe even a small selection of power
> equipment, but they wouldn't repair it.

Note that I said "where would one look" not "where would one find
it".... The enormous gap between these two is the main reason I never
use it. I would't wish anyone to be forced to copy their (sometimes
almost random) taxonomy, but I was trying to suggest an approach rather
than a ready-made solution.

A business can of course be listed under multiple categories as well..