[Tagging] service=drive-through or drive_through?

Jonathan Bennett openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk
Wed Jun 29 14:31:28 BST 2011

On 29/06/2011 14:19, Mike N wrote:

>   I don't see these edits as out of line or unusual.   It's not so
> different from the dozens of other projects to create more unified
> tags so that data consumers have a chance of using the right tag.
I suspect the "tags" you're talking about in other projects don't have
quite the same significance as they do in OSM. Can you give us an
example of what you mean?

I see bulk-changing one tag to another in this way as being equivalent
to changing a method name in an open source library without changing its
functionality, just to make the name nicer. Anyone using that method in
their code will get a compilation error all of a sudden, but nothing has
actually improved in the library. You break some people's use of the
data without having a net benefit.

To put it another way, if the edits could be done using a simple
algorithm, they haven't added anything to the OSM data itself, since
that algorithm could be applied as post-processing. It's just
rearranging deck chairs.