[Tagging] service=drive-through or drive_through?

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 17:41:01 BST 2011

2011/6/30 Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com>:
> In April 2010, I first suggested having another value (namely,
> service=drive_thru) for the service=* tag for drive-through lanes
> similar to service=parking_aisle:
> http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/2010-April/001710.html

> Based on the responses, the rough consensus that I gathered was for
> using service=drive_through. Why? Because people have said that OSM
> has a strong preference for unabbreviated words,

+1

> and also that there's
> a strong preference for underscores (In fact, there is no hyphenated
> key or value in the Map Features page).

I think that this is a misconception. Usually we use the underscore in
keys and formal values where these are several words (in normal
language separated by a space). Please also note that there is indeed
some keys which do use hyphens (OK, most of them seem to derive from
imports):
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=-#keys

> Having two tags (drive_through=yes and service=drive-through) one with
> an underscore and another with a hyphen is quite inconsistent. So
> there's an incentive to harmonize these two tags to both use
> underscores.

+1

cheers,
Martin