[Tagging] propose/help to rename a key -

crom crom9 at online.de
Sat Mar 12 09:25:40 GMT 2011

Hi Peter,
> ... protect_class
protect_class doesn´t exist anywhere. It should be an OSM-own tag.

but I made a decision for "protect_type" because it implies less any
quality rating than "_class" and its shorter.
it should have its "valence" in combination with protected_area.

> While I agree that protect_id is far from perfect, I would suggest you to
> ADD the new tags
> ADD a note explaining why protect_id is not good and why that should
> be overtaken by usage of protect_class
> but STAY with the existant protect_ids for now.
than I will update the wiki-page ...

like:
- instead protect_id the key protect_type

and start the follwoing external ID-keys with a "ref:"

ref:NLWKN=NSG LÜ 259
ref:EUR27=3170
ref:BAYER=UZT 56 HH
_Question_ ist, if names-syntax above is usefull, because its barely
significant, better:
ref:iucn_levle=4
ref:protection_code_NLWKN=NSG LÜ 259
ref:habitat_code_EUR27=3170
ref:hecl_code_BAYER=UZT 56 HH

> That at least helps every application using these tags to change in
> the future.
> Additionally you don't destroy the work of other people without their
> permission (a little bit more polite).
oh ... I thought, most of mapper would not realise this "backend-action"
and would be a kind of happy ... but yes, your right.

thanks,
regards, crom