[Tagging] Locating the voting page for a tag

David Murn davey at incanberra.com.au
Mon Mar 14 02:12:25 GMT 2011

On Sun, 2011-03-13 at 14:16 -0700, Paul Norman wrote:
> While looking into some issues around a bad import, I ran across
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenSeaMap/Lights_Data_Model but
> was unable to find a page with voting or discussion.

Not every tag has to be voted on.  Some wiki pages exist to document
tagging schemes that are already in use,

> I’ve gone and fixed some of the flaws. For example, the page was
> implying that something is render a certain way, but was really just
> making rendering suggestions.

In OSM, there are many many renderers.  As others have pointed out,
OpenSeaMap renders using different styles to mapnik, osmarender, cycle
map, etc.  Please dont 'fix' pages just because your choice of renderer
doesnt support some feature.

If you really want to correct the situation, work the other way and make
your choice of render follow the rules that 'something is rendered a
certain way'.

If shop=florist doesnt render in renderer A but it does in renderer B,
that doesnt mean that you should rewrite the wiki page to say that
shop=florist is really only a rendering suggestion, but you could for
example re-write it to show what renderers DO support the tagging
combination.  In this particular case, the relevant line is at the top
of the wiki page, telling you what renderers support the tags.

David