[Tagging] "Feature Proposal - RFC - Sidewalk

Josh Doe josh at joshdoe.com
Mon Mar 21 17:29:50 GMT 2011

Hi Peter,
Based on what you're saying I'd highly encourage you to map the
sidewalks as separate ways per David's proposal. Like Martin said,
there will inevitably be barriers on the sidewalk, varying widths, and
other issues that will get very complicated to map on the road using
sidewalk:left:barrier and the like. Even your simple case of tagging
crossings gets very complicated. I would tag the road itself only in
the simplest of situations, but if you want to start mapping
crossings, barriers, etc I would move to David's scheme.

I've successfully been mapping this way for a while now, and it's very
satisfying to use a routing service like Open.Mapquest.com to
immediately get results for routing along the sidewalks. They may
support the sidewalk:left/right/both scheme, or other routing engines
may support this, but IMHO it's far more straightforward to map
sidewalks as separate ways.

-Josh