[Tagging] "Feature Proposal - RFC - Sidewalk

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Mon Mar 21 17:52:11 GMT 2011

Well...
I spoke to Pascal Neis, maintainer and developer of openrouteservice.org
and rollstuhlrouting.de a few weeks ago about their plans to support
routing along sidewalks.

He said, they prefer the sidewalk:left|right:*-tagging scheme at the
street's ways.
When I asked how they would like to model crossings - like I asked here,
too - he did not have an answer.

My problem with your answer is, that tagging at the main street is hard
to expand to explicit mapping later.

I thought about several possibilities here:
* A plugin for JOSM to create sidewalks along a selected street (have
not much time to code currently, but there is a concept),
* A plugin or script to expand the tagged variant to explicit mapped
sidewalks

I fear, we urgently need a tagging scheme for way groups (the old
multi-lane discussion) to come to a good solution, as it's not possible
to talk about sidewalks without talking about parking lanes, cycle
lanes, cycle ways and even bus lanes at the street.

regards
Peter