[Tagging] propose/help to rename a key / about protected areas schemes

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 18:09:20 GMT 2011

2011/3/22 crom <crom9 at online.de>:
>> ... how would you deal with several protection "operators" / institutions
> Because OSM (still) can´t use two keys for one object, I think, there are
> two options?, I know
> * values separated by semicolon and

don't like this one, because it gets complicated if you have several
values in several keys and you wanted to connect them between each
other (you would have to rely on ordering)

> * Relations -  it might be simular to a naturereserve, that is part of the
> european "NATURA 2000"-protection-network and may bee part of an heritage.
> Thats (mostly) done with further relations.

Yes, a relation is a good option (you simply create a relation for
every list/operator)

there is the third option would be combined tags like heritage is proposing it:
    * heritage:operator=whc
    * whc:ref=N
    * whc:criteria=2;4
    * whc:inscription_date=1983

the problem is that in this example (from the wiki) it won't work
nicely, because you still would get different values in the
heritage:operator key
Maybe it could be done like this:
heritage:whc=operator (I guess this is not welcome because it puts the
value in the key ;-)  )

> I know these heritage-page. its working mainly with the ref-key and defined
> values (don´t know jet, from which base the values are)? Usually including
> like an external ID.

the ref would be the unesco listing number in heritage, or any other
external identification number.

> There already exists different affords to map kinds of protcted stuff.
> certainly nature_reserve and nationalpark ...? as well as
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features#Military
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Low_emission_zone
> Sure, Yes, we can try to incorporate other concepts.

military is IMHO not related to these protection zones. What comes to
my mind would be water protection, air protection, protection of
specific species or kinds of animals (e.g. birds). There is also zones
that reduce the traffic to keep traffic partly out, without beeing
declared low emission zones.

Cheers,
Martin