[Tagging] Additional attributes for drinking_water

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 10:37:16 GMT 2011

2011/11/4 Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com>:
> I would like to move forward on adding richness to the mapping of drinking
> water sources:

cool

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Drinking_water_attributes
> Would people take a peek and make comments, so things can be taken to the
> next stage?

you already cover my main interest, the type of the facility. I know
that currently those 2 keys are used for this: drinking_water:type and
type, and I am open to hear which one is better.

Other aspects might be whether water is permanently running or you
have to push a button or open a tap. I used a few flow tags for this (
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/flow#values ), used values were:
constant/push-button/tap

There is also decorative fountains which offer potable water (and
where tagging is somehow incompatible because both use "amenity", so
those are probably many of the "drinking_water=yes").

Recently I discovered yet another type: vending_machines where you
fill your bottle for a small fee (0,05 EUR for 1 litre IIRR, water was
offered chilled and normal temperature, with and without additional
CO2): http://www.23hq.com/dieterdreist/photo/7088178
(feel free to use this foto in PD and/or cc-by-sa)

There is also subtypes which let animals like dogs drink at a lower
level (the tap is made in the form of a dog's head so I guess they
could be called dedicated).

> There are also a few confusing ones like:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/746502772

Yes, they should be tried to risolve by writing to the original authors.

cheers,
Martin