[Tagging] Tag desired for "maintenance"

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Tue Nov 15 21:29:41 GMT 2011

yvecai <yvecai at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15. 11. 11 21:09, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> > On 11/15/2011 09:17 AM, yvecai wrote:
> >> I am a little bit out of scope, but to me it would make sense to
> add
> >> this kind of information in an external database.
> >> What is the point of having this kind of information in OSM  ?
> >
> > Is the difference between a broken toilet and a working toilet worth
>
> > reflecting in OSM?
> > What if you had a mobile client to toggle the status?
> A broken toilet is supposed to be fixed, and we can hope that it is
> fixed fast, so this tag would be highly volatile if useful.
> I think it will be more useful in a local db maintained by local
> people
> and used from local services aware of what is to be fixed around.
> Except if there is a world plumber squad parsing 40MBdiffs a day from
> remote bunker somewhere, ready to jump in a plane to avoid us the
> disagreements underlied in the present example :)
> Just my opinion, though.
> Yves

The suitability of a local database, vs. the main OSM database, partly depends upon the timeframe involved.  If the problem is a minor one, likely to be resolved within a few days, it makes sense to track the problem status.  If the issue is likely to take months to resolve, such as a water source being unavailable until a new water main system is installed, it makes sense to track it in the main OSM database as well.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com