[Tagging] Tag desired for "maintenance"

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Thu Nov 17 00:08:30 GMT 2011

On 11/15/2011 12:55 PM, yvecai wrote:
> I think it will be more useful in a local db maintained by local
> people and used from local services aware of what is to be fixed around.

There's a relatively new standard called Open311 which aims to automate
the reporting
of issues to municipalities.  I see a two way data connection potential
here, with benefits for both OSM and the various owners of infrastructure.

So the proposal on the table is:

maintenance=ok
     No reasonable person would think anything is out of order
maintenance=broken
     The facility cannot perform its basic function.
maintenance=needs_repair
     The facility can be used, but the main function is impaired:
     water may dribble out, the toilet may rock.  But you can get your
job done.

maintenance:detail=________________________________
     A text description meant for the person who needs to fix it
     (e.g. "hornet nest in upper left corner of 3rd restoom from right").

source:pkey=county_restroom_12345

An enhanced osm mobile app could be used to set the maintenance status.
Reports could be generated for exchange with local authorities.

I could do an intersection of "maintenance not ok", and the outline for
a particular
city.  Then send the resulting report to the local city manager, or the
local newspaper.

Existing projects in this area focus only on broken stuff, not mapping
both the good and broken stuff.

                             -Bryce

http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/north-america/us/