[Tagging] Wide steps

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Fri Oct 7 18:13:17 BST 2011

Hi.
I stumbled upon that issue several times, yet.
I'm not sure, but perhaps the area:highway-proposal [1] is useful here.
Before we have to discuss the general pros and cons of that proposal: I
don't think it's necessary to tag all streets with an area (but it would
be possible, sure), and I don't think, it's useful to do so in general
before we have tools to support that.

But I think, in cases where the line generalization of a highway is not
enough - like it's here in the steps issue, it would be useful to do that.

The additional highway:steps would stay at separate ways "on top" of the
area.

Usual routers then use the "traditional" highway:steps alone, renderers
could use the area:highway=steps polygon to render steps in the real
size (would need special database selections to apply that rendering,
but I'm sure, it's possible).

regards
Peter

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/area:highway