[Tagging] sidewalks and tagging for the renderer

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Apr 11 09:22:57 BST 2012

Am 10. April 2012 22:01 schrieb Komяpa <me at komzpa.net>:
> In Minsk, we've come to agreement that highway=* are just routing
> lines, with highway=footway as a part of routing graph for
> pedestrians, and highway=cycleway - for cyclists.
>
> It's possible to have pedestrian routing without separate ways for
> sidewalks, but it's nicer when it shows you where you can actually
> cross the road.

The thing is that you can generally cross any road at any spot, as
long it is not impossible or too dangerous ;-), i.e. in most of the
cases you can simply cross the road if your destination is right on
the other side for example. With explicit footways your router will
send you to the next crossing and tell you to cross the road there and
then come back.

If sidewalks were tagged without the highway tag, routing would
continue to work like it does for everybody and only who wants to take
the risk of routing also on explicit sidewalks could do so by adding
the footway=sidewalk elements into consideration. People that want to
add an additional element would do so explicitly. The way it is now
suggested to do will instead require additional action for everybody
who does NOT want them in his data: they will have to filter out
everything from their highway=* selection that has a footway=sidewalk
attached.

cheers,
Martin