[Tagging] School tag

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 00:52:06 BST 2012

Right now we have
amenity=school<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dschool>,
amenity=college <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dcollege>and
amenity=university<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Duniversity>.
Then we have isced:xxx=value
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:isced>for determining the
level of a school by the International Standard
Classification of Education.

What about the general subject of a school? There are music schools, law
schools, medicine schools, and so on. I would describe them in a tag *
school=**. So we would have school=music, school=law etc..
Primary and middle schools that have no specific subject could be
school=general.

A university is mapped with a polygon that has amenity=university, but
individual buildings could have school tags, like school=law or
school=economics.

This could also be used with:

   - driving schools (amenity=school + school=driving instead of
   amenity=driving_school)
   - foreign language schools (amenity=school + school=language +
   language=en;fr;de)
   - pottery workshops (amenity=school + school=pottery)
   - karate schools (amenity=school + school=sport + sport=karate)

There are a lot of possible values for this tag, some of them are:

Agriculture, Architecture, Biology, Chemistry, Design, Driving, Economics,
Electronics, Geodesy, Geography, Geology, Language, Law, Mathematics,
Medicine, Music, Painting, Physics, Sport, etc..

Thanks for your opinions,

Janko Mihelić