[Tagging] Dispute prevention: meaning of lanes tag

Andrew Errington a.errington at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Apr 27 10:29:15 BST 2012

I'm quite happy with lanes=n where n is an integer.

I am very happy to assume that a one-way road without lanes=* has only one
lane.

I am also happy to assume that a not-one-way road without lanes=* has two
lanes (one in each direction).

I am extremely happy to see a width=* tag that I can use in conjunction with
the lane count (even if the lane count is assumed).  It tells me the width of
each lane.

A lane count of 1.5 is very confusing.  What does it mean?  What is the width
of each lane?  Is it really 1.5?  Should it be 1.55, or 1.4, or 1.6?  It's
more useful to tell me width of the road.  Then, if there is one lane I can
see maybe it's very wide, or if two lanes I can see maybe they are very
narrow.  It's okay to let me assume the number of lanes because the
assumption is safe, and if it's really wrong then someone will tag it
properly later.

In summary, I think simpler is better.  A non-integer lane count is useless.
Use the width tag.

Best wishes,

Andrew