[Tagging] RFC: Names localization

"Petr Morávek [Xificurk]" xificurk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 11:00:59 BST 2012

Johan Jönsson wrote:
> Sorry if I am getting to theoretical on the subject of how to write tags.
>
> I was wondering about the reason for this tag,
> *is it to explain the languages in the tag name:
> (if, like in your bruxelles-brussel example, is two names I guess that the
> order is important)

Yes, this was the primary motivation for the proposal.

> *or is it aimed at noting information from wikipedia on the official languages
> of this place (probably ordered after number of speakers but with
> administrative language first or something).

AFAIK, official languages are usually decided on the level of
countries... even if you know the official language of the country, you
can still come across a small region, where
* most people don't even speak it official language properly
* the road signs are written in the official language, supplemented by
the language of local minority

> *It could also be meant to explain something that might not exist on
> wikipedia, in what languages and scripts the road signs usually are on the
> place. In the greece capital Athens there are usually the name in greek
> letters first and then in roman letters (gr and gr_rom maybe).

This is actually a related problem - the question, what should we
generally put in name tag? IMHO in case of a dispute, a reasonable
solution is "on-the-ground" rule. But if everybody in Greece agrees that
in name tag they will put only names in Greek alphabet (even though you
say the signs contain latin transcription as well), it's their call.

Best regards,
Petr Morávek aka Xificurk