[Tagging] Everybody is hiding?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Aug 9 13:36:40 BST 2012

Hi,

On 08/09/2012 01:41 PM, Eckhart Wörner wrote:
> Therefore, I expected that those people who had voted against the
> proposal came up with a well-designed alternative proposal

You have to work on your expectations then. Has it occurred to you that
some people don't find extended conditions important enough at all?

Personally, I think that most of the extended conditions that the
proposal tried to address were not worth having a tagging scheme for;
they were stuff that only a few perfectionists would want to map anyway.
And while I am not against perfectionists mapping stuff they like, I am
against elevating this to the state of an "accepted proposal" because
that would convey too much mindshare to such a marginal issue.

The proposal is driven by a geek-y desire to convert every last bit of
information contained in a road sign into an OSM tag. But I don't think
that this is what people will usually want to do, and I fear that giving
this idea more mindshare will in the end lead to our editors being
burdened by special restriction composer preset tabs where you can
generate stuff like time and weather dependent speed limits for disabled
persons with children.

I don't think that the proposal is the "de facto standard" either. I
think some of its parts will probably be used - e.g. I could see
"maxspeed:wet" being of use. I think it is likely however that this will
be interpreted like a normal, fixed tag, and I don't believe anyone will
actually implement a restriction parser that understands any combination
of restrictions on any tags.

I have no problem whatsoever if the mapping of speed limits that only
apply to HGV at night happens by way of a "note" tag. It's just not
frequent enough to even discuss.

Bye
Frederik