[Tagging] Fwd: Door to door routing to buildings with multiple occupants

Markus Lindholm markus.lindholm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 12:41:39 GMT 2012

On 4 December 2012 13:23, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2012/12/4 Markus Lindholm <markus.lindholm at gmail.com>:
> > In my book addresses are features in their own right and should not be
> mixed
> > in the same element as amenities or shops. The first problem would be
> that
> > it would make it impossible to render addresses and POIs at the same
> time.
>

> this depends entirely on your rendering rules.

How would you devise a rendering rule that makes an intelligible map with
two icons mapped on top of each other on the same spot?

> > The second problem would be that there would be multiple instances of the
> > same address.
>

> why is this a problem? "The" address would be the sum of all these
> occurencies.

If you want to calculate a route to or from an address it is preferable
that there's just one instance.

> > If there really is a need to bind address and POI together then create a
> > relation for that.
>

> -1, this would be breaking a fly on the wheel (or shooting with
> cannons on sparrows as we say in Germany). Really no need for
> relations here.

I'm not saying it has to be done at all instances, just if you really
adding some information to the map. Also you need a relation to tell what
kind of relationship there is between the address and the POI. E.g. a
restaurant might have one address at which it receives customers, an other
where it accepts deliveries and a third for staff entrance and a forth to
receive snail mail.

/Markus