[Tagging] on-call bicycle ferry service

Volker Schmidt voschix at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 14:21:30 GMT 2012

Thanks Henning and Martin,

My main concern was whether this is a "ferry" service, as it's on demand.
So that doesn't cause you problems. :-)

The remaining tagging is less of a problem.
The name of the service? It's most likely "Bragozzo Ulisse" (which is their
first boat; "bragozzo" is, or better was, the standard cargo boat type in
the lagoon). I fear it won't make things clearer when this appears on a map.

If I put the info that this is a on-call ferry for bicycles as
"description" tag, it won't be visible with any normal renderer.
Martin, what do you mean by putting it in the attributes?
Something like:
route=ferry
on_demand=yes (???)
motor_vehicle=no
bicycle=yes
foot=yes
operator=Tiozzo Marco (this is the name of the person who runs the service)
name=Bragozzo Ulisse
duration=00:15
Opening hours= ... (could be copied from the web site)
website=http://www.giteinlaguna.com/servizio-a-chiamata
description=on-call service for bicycles
phone=+39 3478652845
fee=yes

Things are a bit complicated as far as calling the service is concerned:
Normally, when the boat is waiting for passengers, it is moored in
Chioggia. The same person also operates a bicycle rental service at the
same location. When the boat is out or if you want to catch it in
Pellestrina, you need to call his mobile phone.
I would not know how to put this info in tags.

I am looking into this now as the cycle route along the islands has been
officially trailblazed. And there are two other ferry services to be mapped
on the other two inlets of the lagoon (Malamocco and Lido).
The Malamocco inlet is crossed by a scheduled car ferry - no problem there.
The Lido inlet is more complex: there are several water bus lines crossing
this inlet, but they officially do not carry bicycles. However it's up to
the individual captain of the vaporetto, if and how many bicycles he
accepts (in my personal experience between zero and seven on the same type
of boat, depending mainly on the mood  of the captain. :-(  )

---- BTW what is the tag for a water bus (vaporetto) - in Venice there is a
distinction between three classes of services: 'vaporetto' only carries
passengers (with few exceptions - see above), 'motonave' carries passengers
and bicycles, 'ferryboat' carries motorvehicles and ll the rest). I suppose
'vaporetto' should be route=ferry plus vehicles=no (which at present is
missing on the Venice vaporetto routes) ---

Volker