[Tagging] New relation type=provides_feature

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 06:32:31 GMT 2012

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Dave Sutter <sutter at intransix.com> wrote:

> This may be a radical suggestion for OSM but I think POIs should be
> removed from the map database and put in an external database. Each
> POI should have an address and the address is used to match the POI to
> the map.
>
> This can also be extended to ref tags, which are a generalized
> address, to add additional data to the map, such as informtion like
> ferry schedules.

Agreed - it would solve a lot of problems to be able to store
non-geospatial data differently. It wouldn't necessarily have to be
either/or: if such a database were created, non-geospatial data could
progressively be moved over to it, but in some locations people may prefer
to keep it in OSM.

All kinds of stuff could go: current tenants of retail buildings, contact
details, opening hours, fuel types at petrol stations etc. But I'm sure
someone must have fleshed out this idea before.

Steve