[Tagging] Self explanatory?

Dave Sutter sutter at intransix.com
Sat Dec 8 17:12:44 GMT 2012

One thing that makes those pictures very clear is that they are
superimposed over actual aerial imagery. Visually I am not sure the
solid polygons add anything for me. Possibly for a non-technical map
user they could be confusing, but I don't know.

I assume the problem you are trying to get around is that the center
line of a road is discontinuous when the road forks. When the map line
diverges from the center line I personally don't see any need to make
any special annotation for this.

What I think we should actually do is represent the true area of the
road, including the physical lanes on the map, with lane lines and
possibly even with the proper lane paint locations. This will be done
by other maps soon. One reason is that it will be required for the
operation of self driving cars. Google is probably already thinking
about it if not working on it. Of course it might be difficult for OSM
people to collect this information. But on the other hand, they may
just be looking for more to do.

I have heard arguments against increasing the resolution of the maps
such as "But where does it end if you add more detail!" or "But we
agreed to do 2 meters accuracy." But time goes by and maybe it is time
to be more detailed.

Dave