[Tagging] building attributes

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 18:57:44 GMT 2012

2012/2/8 Kytömaa Lauri <lauri.kytomaa at aalto.fi>:
> IMO this is a "make mapping easy" choise (vs. "code requires sticking
> to definitions, even if it is against day to day speak"): you can get a
> random mapper to count the windows and have them enter that.
> If one
> asks people if a building is a, say, six-storey building, they don't
> ask if it has many underground levels but look at the windows.

OK, if it is consensus that this is more intuitive this way, I agree
it would be better to live with the ambiguity and keep the shorter tag
for the above ground levels. What I have experienced often is that
people don't count the ground floor. If a building has ground floor
plus floors 1-5 many say the building has 5 levels. I guess this is
because the last floor is called 5th floor.

> Colons in keys are likely to make many casual mappers uneasy about
> editing said tag, let alone two of them in one key.

well, many keys have colons currently, there is also underscores
replacing spaces, I think we'll have to live with that, but might hide
it in some editors from the mappers, if this makes things more easy.

cheers,
Martin