[Tagging] How to tag the width of a gate

Kytömaa Lauri lauri.kytomaa at aalto.fi
Sun Feb 26 13:43:37 GMT 2012

>This was discussed intensely some time ago for maxheight, I suggest
>you read the archives on this. I agree that a physical restriction is

Originally there was little mention of any of them tags depicting
purely legal restrictions. Even access/*=no was "unsuitable or not
allowed", but later, as it was deemed unverifiable, the "only legal"
started creeping into all sorts of tags, where it may or may not be
the common usage, or sensible. For a lorry driver it doesn't matter
if a gate's width limit is legal or physical, if they can't get
through, but can drive up to it. That's the history bit.

Using width=* only for physical maximum width for a vehicle could only
work for, for example, gates, whereas a narrow road lined with
trees might be impassable for wide vehicles, but there isn't an
object that could be tagged with width=* at that narrow point
between two trees. Mind you, the road itself (its width=*) can be
narrower than the load the vehicle is carrying, or the vehicles
extents (e.g. side mirrors). Likewise, a gate is often actually
wider than the gap; for an stone arch gate even several meters
wider. My point being, that physical maximum width deserves some
other tag than width=*.

--
Alv