[Tagging] Health and other stories

sabas88 sabas88 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 17:02:23 GMT 2012

Hi list,
I want to suggest a topic of discussion not often considered: planning a
more rational tagging system to be applied onto the existing data and for
the future.
(OK, it's flame time! :D)

For instance the discussion could start with a simple case: healthcare.
Now the health facilities are tagged in amenity (when I go to the dentist
I'm not happy as I would be in a bar!), but (in my dream world :) ) they
should deserve a seperate key: I found two proposals, one contested [1] and
one in RFC status [2] (but I somewhat dislike it at a first glance).

Same discussion could be started on education, culture and so on.
Perhaps the amenity key is abused as a POI collector, but in my humble
opinion, there should be more categories (or, if you like, subcategories as
amenity=health, health=* but it's less effective).

(Un)Occupy the Amenity key!

Regards,
Stefano

PS This email seems ironic, but I would seriously like to promote
discussion on this topic.

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Healthcare
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Healthcare_2.0