[Tagging] Amenity swimming_pool (was Amenity parking)

Ben Johnson tangararama at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 02:01:00 GMT 2012

On 13/01/2012, at 11:49 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> 2012/1/12 Ben Johnson <tangararama at gmail.com>:
>> For my take on permissive, the best example I can think of is rural
>> properties where you need to literally drive through private farms
>> to get to your destination (which is usually another farm).
>

> those usually aren't permissive (at least in the areas that I know
> of), instead there is usually a right of way (the owner of the land
> that has to be crossed _has the obligation_ to let the other
> (including postman, visitors, etc.) pass his property (this is often
> something that is written in the land register). "Permissive" on the
> other hand would mean that the owner could revoke the right to pass
> his ground any time.
>

>> I'm not sure about their legal right to "revoke" access -
>> especially if the only way in/out of your farm is to cross theirs,
>> so they may have a legal obligation to always permit access.
>

> exactly
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Hi Martin,

Okay that explains it very well. I have a friend with a farm who
explained a little to me and the obligation makes perfect sense. But
would you tag such ways as "private" or just leave them as default
access?  Farms aside, I struggle to think of examples of permissive
ways. The only thing I can think of is something like a pedestrian
shortcut across a golf course, or a pedestrian way through an arcade
or shopping centre.

BJ