[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Mapping guidelines

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Wed Jan 18 02:02:04 GMT 2012

On Tue, 2012-01-17 at 08:30 -0500, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> On 1/17/2012 8:10 AM, Simone Saviolo wrote:
> > I find it useless to map such wide areas as landuses. There's no point
> > in tagging a whole village's area as landuse=residential, and there's
> > no point in making a sixty-km-wide polygon to indicate that between
> > Parma and Reggio Emilia there's cultivated land.
>
> I'm not suggesting either of these. But a single chunk of houses is
> clearly all residential, whether it's the size of a few lots or a huge
> subdivision. Splitting it at roads gives no benefit and complicates
> editing greatly. This is just ridiculous:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=35.323225&lon=-119.077089&zoom=18

Actually, I wouldn't call that "ridiculous," I'd call it "accurate."
Notice how landuse=residential doesn't overlap other, not-residential
uses.  Even leaves it open for potential landuse=highway area.  Having
landuse=* polygons overlapping entire regions is *much* more difficult
to work with, especially when the edge extends close to or shares nodes
with an adjacent highway centerline.  Then trying to make an edit
becomes a tangled, unwieldy mess in JOSM and just plain Not For the
Uninitiated™ in Potlatch.