[Tagging] When should a name:* translation be used?

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Mon Jan 30 21:16:04 GMT 2012

On 30/01/2012 17:53, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> I ask because someone added a name:vi tag for Orange County, Florida:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/389011
> As far as I know, there is no large Vietnamese population here and no
> other reason why someone would want to know the literal translation of
> Orange County into Vietnamese.

I think its fine to add other language names for things if you have a
reliable source for it (under a suitable licence).
So if its signposted somewhere,  or if its on a list from the official
language agency, or from an official published map (with permission to
use it) etc.

And preferably a source specific to that place. Two places might have
the same name in English, but different names in another language.

I'm not convinced that Wikipedia is a reliable source for other language
names.

Craig