[Tagging] Extended Conditions - response to votes

Eckhart Wörner ewoerner at kde.org
Thu Jul 5 23:09:36 BST 2012

Hi Martin,

Am Donnerstag, 5. Juli 2012, 22:49:30 schrieb Martin Vonwald:

> >> That's what IMO is the limiting factor. And I don't think at the database limit, but instead on the willingness of people to read/write extremely long values.
> >
> > But those very long values would only appear for unusually complex
> > restrictions. I expect situations with more than 1-2 conditions to be
> > very rare. Do you disagree with that assumption?

Here are a few examples for you:

Nearby motorway:
maxspeed=none
maxspeed:hgv=100
maxspeed:(22:00-06:00)=120
maxspeed:(22:00-06:00):hgv=80
maxspeed:wet=80

Nearby pedestrian area (I will try to get a picture of the signs for this one for educational purposes):
access:bicycle=yes
access:vehicle:(weight<10):(Mo-Fr 06:00-11:00; Sa 06:00-10:00):delivery=yes
access:vehicle:(19:00-10:00):destination=yes
access:vehicle:taxi:(Mo-Fr 20:00-10:00; Sa, Su, PH 20:00-11:00)=yes

> > We cannot just
> > discard an idea when we find one flaw. We need to identify the solution
> > whose flaws matter the least in practice.
>
> 100% correct. But I have the feeling that the extended conditions proposal is not the solution whose flaws matter the least. But as I also don't have the perfect solution in my pocket I will not oppose it. However I hope that no solution is approved and instead the discussion is restarted and kept alive until a good solution is found. I hope it but it doubt the latter.

Well, if this proposal fails I would say everybody who voted against it has to come up with a better one (where "better" is based on some actual arguments), but I do not believe in Santa Claus either. What probably happens is that this discussion dies, and people will either use this proposal (as they have done before) or use the note and fixme keys (as they have done before).

Eckhart