[Tagging] emergency=fire_hydrant and wrenches

Jason Cunningham jamicuosm at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 25 11:34:56 BST 2012

On 24 July 2012 19:55, David ``Smith'' <vidthekid at gmail.com> wrote:

> Useful to whom? The local fire department should already know, and nobody
> else should be authorized to open the hydrant anyway — though it seems the
> biggest reason departments object to unauthorized access is damage caused
> by using the wrong kind of wrench…

Your assuming the existence of something called a "local fire department"
who have some sort of control over the hydrant. This may be the case for
the the area your thinking about but not be the case across the rest of the
world. Having said that I agree that if people should not "interacting"
with an object then OSM should not provide data on how to do it, especially
for something as important as a fire hydrant.

Jason