[Tagging] emergency=fire_hydrant and wrenches

LM_1 flukas.robot+osm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 13:00:13 BST 2012

2012/7/25 Jason Cunningham <jamicuosm at googlemail.com>:
> On 24 July 2012 19:55, David ``Smith'' <vidthekid at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Useful to whom? The local fire department should already know, and nobody
>> else should be authorized to open the hydrant anyway — though it seems the
>> biggest reason departments object to unauthorized access is damage caused by
>> using the wrong kind of wrench…
>
> Your assuming the existence of something called a "local fire department"
> who have some sort of control over the hydrant. This may be the case for the
> the area your thinking about but not be the case across the rest of the
> world. Having said that I agree that if people should not "interacting" with
> an object then OSM should not provide data on how to do it, especially for
> something as important as a fire hydrant.
>
> Jason

More importantly OSM should not censor its data even if there is
potential for abuse. (surveillance cameras for crime planning,
detailed road maps for attack forces coordination, police using
uploaded gps tracks to find locations where cars are likely to exceed
speed limits... )

Lukáš Matějka (LM_1)