[Tagging] emergency=fire_hydrant and wrenches and some off-topic

Johan Jönsson johan.j at goteborg.cc
Wed Jul 25 20:52:31 BST 2012

fly <lowflight66 at ...> writes:

> On 25/07/12 14:00, LM_1 wrote:

> >> Your assuming the existence of something called a "local fire department"
> >> who have some sort of control over the hydrant. This may be the case for
the
> >> the area your thinking about but not be the case across the rest of the
> >> world. Having said that I agree that if people should not "interacting"
with
> >> an object then OSM should not provide data on how to do it, especially for
> >> something as important as a fire hydrant.
> >>
> >> Jason
> >
> > More importantly OSM should not censor its data even if there is
> > potential for abuse. (surveillance cameras for crime planning,
> > detailed road maps for attack forces coordination, police using
> > uploaded gps tracks to find locations where cars are likely to exceed
> > speed limits... )
>
> +10
>
> Please no censorship in this way.
>
> As the fire_hydrant has already an own tag it should be no problem to add
some
> more information (like the wrench).
>
> Im my country, I find them not just on fire_hydrants, eg it might be worse
> thinking about a generell solution and not just for fire hydrants.
>
> wrench_type=*
> comes to my mind.
>
> cu
> fly

I just found out about the emergency-key, I think it is great for things you
could need in an emergency. As I udnerstand, the tagging have appeared as a
need for things that could not be described with other keys. some things like
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:emergency%3Dlife_ring are just there
for "in case of emergency". Looking at the values at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:emergency I see that the one that made
these have had fire_fighting in mind. It makes me wonder if all things related
to firefighting should be tagged emergency. Some might argue that only things
usable by "ordinary", unprepared people should be marked emergency. But as
Jason argues, in some places are everyone supposed to join in to figth fires.
I could settle on some kind of definition, that things *only* used at an
emergency or at least *mostly*, should be tagged with emergency.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:emergency%3Dfire_water_pond could be a
border case on the included side.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:emergency%3Dambulance_station I think
is far to active during non-emergency situations to be included.

I would like things in the emergency-key to be "out on the field", sort of.

Well, the above was off-topic. Regarding keying, i think the barrier-guys have
thought a bit on it.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/New_barrier_types#Combinat
ions_.2F_Subtags
hydrant:key=6sided_wrench maybe?

Probably, there are some kind of advanced access-tagging system floating
around also. hydrant:access=key and key=wrench