[Tagging] How to tag a "trail blaze"

Gilles Bassière gbassiere at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 20:55:47 GMT 2012

Le samedi 10 mars 2012 à 14:16 +1100, Steve Bennett a écrit :
> On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 1:45 AM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > He is asking because a local community is maintaining such marks and
> > would like to locate them in OSM in addition to the route itself.
> > Our current proposal is to use a node tagged with:
> > tourism=information
> > information=trail_blaze
> > hiking=yes
> > operator=
> > support=tree|pole|rock
> > description=
>
> Maybe the word "marker" rather than trail_blaze. Then it could be used
> equally be more formal, permanent trail markers.
>
> tourism=information
> information=trail_marker
>
> OTOH, information=trail_blaze already has 925 uses, so perhaps that's
> the de facto standard already.

"Blaze" also seems more consistent with:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/trailblazed

But I agree with you, "marker" sounds better and could cover more cases.

Maybe, we could use "marker" as a role in the route relation describing
the hiking trail. Each trail_blaze node would be member of the relation
with the role "marker". Is this fine?

> Btw, I think using "support" this way is a French-ism. I don't
> immediately have a better suggestion, maybe
> "information:attached_to=tree".

I initially suggested to use this key on the french mailing list. I took
my inspiration from:
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/support#values
It is very possible that this key made sense to me because of the
similarity with the french word :)

Cheers
--
Gilles Bassière - Web/GIS software engineer
http://gbassiere.free.fr/