[Tagging] reference_point and landmark for addresses

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 10:44:40 GMT 2012

On 3/20/2012 6:52 PM, Felix Delattre wrote:
> In Central America describing addresses work differently than in
> northern countries. As there are often times no street names and people
> are used to describe the addresses with reference points. Only in some
> residential areas they use letter and numbers for sectors and houses.
>
> For example a valid addresses could be:
> * From the old church in Santa Ana, 400 meters east.
> * From secondary school Carlos Blass, half a block to the south.
> * From where the Cinema Cabrera was before, 2 blocks south and 20 meters
> east.

What would you use these "addresses" for? Do you write this on a letter
you're mailing? Or is it just something that you might expect as output
from a person or router, and thus any landmarks can be used?

I ask because this sort of description is used everywhere. One might say
"at the end of the road, past Sand Lake Elementary School" rather than
"8249 Buena Vista Woods Boulevard", but that doesn't make the former any
kind of real address. It's simply a spatial description that can be seen
by looking at the map.