[Tagging] reference_point and landmark for addresses

Stephen Hope slhope at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 22:14:56 GMT 2012

On 21 March 2012 20:22, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> And your example about "from where the Cinema was before" is a bit a
> problem if we don't see any evidence on the ground (like old signs but
> afain we don't have tags yet for that).

This is exactly the kind of problem we have with neighbourhoods as
discussed here a few months ago. There may be no official standing or signs
of any type that you can point to on the ground, but the majority of local
people still know what you mean and use the term. I think if we want to put
these kind of items in the data (and I think they may be quite useful) then
verifiability might mean "eight out of ten locals can tell you where it
is". But I do think we need a tag that clearly shows it as a search
location, not necessarily to be shown on maps by renderers.

Stephen